A permit is required to conduct a recreational fire in the city of Kalamazoo unless the conditions described below are met. You can request a permit online using the link below, or complete and return the PDF by mail, email, or in-person. Permits are valid from April 1 through March 31, or until there is a change in residency or ownership.
An inspection is required when there are three or more dwelling units at the property or there is less than 15 feet of clearance from a structure or combustibles. If there are three or more dwelling units, only the property owner can apply for the permit.
There is no cost to obtain a Recreational Fire Permit. Permits are issued within 14 days.
Request a Recreational Fire Permit Online
PDF Application(PDF, 347KB)
Recreational Fires Without a Permit
Recreational fires may be conducted without a permit in an approved outdoor device in accordance to manufacturer’s instructions at single- and two-family dwellings on a single parcel under the following conditions:
- The device shall have a screen cover that aids in the protection to contain burning particulate from escaping into the atmosphere.
- The device shall be 15’ from any structure or combustibles.
- A person shall have a garden hose connected to a reliable water source readily available for use.
- The size of the fire shall be no larger than 3’ x 3’ x 3’.
- Firewood being burned shall not have a diameter larger than 3” in diameter.
- Burning shall not create a foul or offensive odor or cause smoke emissions that are reasonably offensive to occupants of surrounding property.
- The burning of garbage, leaves, or other waste material is prohibited.
- Any fire shall be extinguished at the direction of a Public Safety Officer if the fire is determined to constitute a hazardous condition, to create a foul or offensive odor, or to cause smoke emissions that are reasonably offensive to occupants of surrounding property.
- The fire shall be constantly attended by a competent person until such fire is extinguished.
- Fires are prohibited on any ozone action day, high fire risk by the DNR or burning bans imposed by the State or City of Kalamazoo.
Portable Outdoor Fireplaces without a Permit
Fires in portable outdoor fireplaces at single- and two-family dwellings may be conducted without a permit when they are used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and not operated within 15 feet of a structure or combustible material Portable outdoor fireplaces at single- and two-family dwellings may be conducted without a permit when they are used in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions and not operated within 15 feet of a structure or combustible material.