C.O.P.S.- Community Outreach and Problem Solving
In continuance of our balanced approach to crime reduction; specifically violent crime and improving the quality of life in our community, Public Safety has created a new division that combines the most pro-active pieces of the organization into a singular division called Community Outreach and Problem Solving or C.O.P.S.
The new division is being commanded by Captain David Boysen and is comprised of the following units:
- Community Policing Unit
- Kalamazoo Valley Enforcement Team
- Probation and Parole Agent
- Code Enforcement Officer from Community Planning & Development
- Kalamazoo City Public Services (Street Lights, Forestry, Street Cleaning ect..)
- Kalamazoo County Community Mental Health
- U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Developement (HUD)
The goals for the new Division have been set as:
- Develop and maintain a robust intelligence system to identify the most violent offenders within our city and county.
- Reduce the Homicide rate and gun violence through aggressive enforcement, prosecution and alternative strategies.
- Continue the relationship building, foot patrols, dialogue and problem solving with the community.